Thursday 8 November 2012

Artist Statement


Fresh, contemporary, exciting, ingenious and resourceful; these are just some of the words that come to my mind when I think of graphics and what hopefully I would like people to say about my work in the future. My name is Jasmine John-Baptiste and presently I am studying graphic design at the University of East London, Docklands. As a first year graphic student it’s expected by many to know the typical mediums used by graphic designers which are various computer software’s. However, I went into this year more unconventional as I don’t know how to use any of the software programs. I prefer to use the more old fashioned hand drawings to create a design. However I am fascinated by the way technology gives you more options and choices which I look forward to exploring myself as I am attracted to the creative process that combines art and technology to communicate ideas visually.

 When looking at designs I probably have a different view to what the ‘Artworld’ may perceive creative art to be. As when visiting museums and exhibitions such as the British museum a lot of contemporary art seems to be very simple and basic, so plain that it does not even look like a piece of art or design. I prefer more meaningful or straightforward art with a twist as to me they catch my attention and inspire without having to be confusing for instance Milton Glaser’s work or Donald Rodney with his ‘In the House of My Father’.

 Furthermore it has a great impact and influence on the way people think as the complexities, artistic skills and intricate details of graphic design help bring ideas into real life images. It’s contemporary and it is an industry that has to keep up with modern society. I am continually challenged to design something new and creative in my graphic design work.  To this end, certain aspects of my environment appeals to me and stimulates my senses. Therefore what inspires me and helps to form the context of my working practice is the natural diversity and phenomena of nature because it is neither caused nor controlled by human beings. I like to play with this because it is in direct contrast to the work and context of graphic design which begins with the thoughts and ideas formulated by the human mind. There are also similarities between the creativity of graphic design and nature as they both bring together colours, shapes and textures to create something more complex. I am enchanted by the way in which trees bend, twist and curve throughout the ages. I admire the beauty of nature; even as she ages she is still beautiful.

 “God is present everywhere in and through the whole creation in all its parts and in all places, and so the world is full of God and God fills it all.” (Martin Luther King).  My faith has taught me that God created both the heavens and the earth and all forms of life within it.  I believe that creation reveals God’s character and therefore, I am inspired by God’s handiwork in creation as this sets the template for my thought processes when formulating my creative ideas for my own graphic design work. 
Drawings of Naum Gabo’s work.
Dimensions: A1 sheet
Media: Pencil
Date: May 2012

 
Printmaking sheet.

Dimensions: A4 sheet

Media: Ink, scalpel

Date: March 2012

 
Map of trip in Central London.

Dimensions: A3 sheet

Media: Photo collarge

Date: October 2012

 
Logo to brand a classmate.

Dimension: A3 sheet

Media: Pencil/colour pencil

Date: October 2012


Re-design of the pound coin to show global financial state.

Dimensions: A3 sheet

Media: Colour pencil

Date: October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment